What are they and how can they help?
Psychotherapy & Counselling are talking therapies that have been shown to reduce anxiety, depression and emotional issues that increases your resiliency in dealing with specific issues and general life stressors. It's a private and confidential space just for you. Sometimes referred to as 'the talking cure' the evidence for the effectiveness of psychotherapy & counselling is that it works, irrespective of the specific type of therapy - they all can have a positive effect. It's a special type of conversation that uses techniques and questions to help you focus on what you want to change.
What can psychotherapy help with?
Psychotherapy and counselling can help with a range of issues and you don't need to be diagnosed with a mental illness or in a crisis to benefit from it. All kinds of emotional or mental health problems can benefit including:
- feeling like you can’t cope
- obsessive behaviour
- panic attacks and phobia
- problems dealing with stress or recovering from stressful situations
- lack of confidence or extreme shyness
- coping with the effects of abuse
- feelings of depression, sadness, grief or emptiness
- extreme mood swings
- difficulty making or sustaining relationships, or repeatedly becoming involved in unsatisfying or destructive relationships
- sexual problems
- difficulties coming to terms with losses such as bereavement, divorce or unemployment
- eating disorders
What type of psychotherapist am I?
I am trained in Contemporary Psychotherapy an integrative approach that focusses on your immediate needs and your short-term and long term well-being. The aim of Contemporary Psychotherapy is to help you to change and heal in harmony with your own unique sense of self. It is an integrative approach that utilises your natural resources and is tailored to fit you rather than imposing a specific framework.
Ultimately the aim is to help you develop a greater knowledge and understanding of yourself and enable you to make deep positive changes and have greater skills at managing life’s challenges.